Does it feel like this past year has gone by in a blink to you? It sure does for me.
But, we’re well into November and the countdown to bedlam has begun.
The very last thing you think you have time for is to sit down and make a checklist of all the things you should do in the lead up to the end of the year, but…it’s actually one of the most beneficial things you could do to ensure a smooth transition into the New Year.
With that in mind, I’ve created a Countdown to Christmas Checklist to help you get through the crazy season and come out the other side with all your hair intact.
Print it out and add any extras that you think you need to make your Christmas season the smoothest (and most profitable) yet.
To do in November
- Plan your roster for the rest of the year so everyone gets time off to do their own shopping, and you have enough team members rostered on to cope with the rush.
- Organise extra team members or a front desk receptionist for December. If you can’t get either of these, consider getting a salon junior to help keep the salon clean and tidy.
- Contact regular salon clients to ensure they have their Christmas appointments booked in. You don’t want those last minute phone calls from a regular.
- Invite VIP clients for Christmas drinks and nibbles in early December
- Have your preliminary Christmas team meeting to let your team know what’s expected of them.
- Have your Team Christmas Party. Get it out of the way early so your team can focus on their clients in December.
- Order your Christmas retail stock including special promotional stock.
- Order January stock if suppliers will be closed. Don’t miss out by leaving it until December.
- Order point-of-sale retail items for impulse purchases to help boost profits.
- Order in extra gift vouchers, wrapping paper, ribbons, retail bags and gift boxes.
- Implement your gift voucher promotion to boost sales and don’t forget to also incentivise your team members.
- Wrap up retail items in Christmas themed cellophane and add a gift card for clients who want to purchase an easy gift for a friend/teacher.
- Send your November newsletter to let clients know about Christmas/December trading hours, getting their appointments booked in and your salon Gift Vouchers and promotion.
- Spring clean the salon during any times. Keep your team members productive.
- Create and schedule your January promotion and newsletter.
- Have your Christmas re-booking promotion organised to get clients back in January.
- Streamline your appointment book to ensure useless time gaps don’t creep in and cost you lost revenue.
- Develop your Pamper Packages to sell as Gift Vouchers.
- Let local business owners know you have Gift Vouchers to purchase for their employees. Offer an incentive for them to make a purchase.
- Organise your salon Secret Santa for gift exchange between team members.
To do in December
- Hold your December team meeting early to re-enforce your expectations and share revenue goals.
- Confirm all appointments and take deposits on large appointments for this month.
- Put up your Christmas tree and decorations.
- Add small ‘gifts’ to your tree for clients to select from.
- Find some Christmas music that won’t drive everyone crazy (Start of Dec).
- Decide on and give Christmas gifts to VIP clients.
- Schedule several reminder emails for your clients to ensure they have their appointments made, know your opening and closing times and have booked for their January appointments
- Have food and drinks on hand daily for team members for the final ultra-busy fortnight leading into Christmas.
- Prepare little thank you gifts for your team each week to show your appreciation.
- Prepare and schedule as much of your social media marketing as possible in advance.
When it’s all over and done with, relax and enjoy the special time you have with your friends and family.